Make sure your electrical system is up to code, and don’t overload your outlets by daisy chaining power strips or running several high-voltage appliances from a single outlet.
Have fire alarms positioned throughout the house, make sure you replace batteries as soon as the low level indicator is triggered.
When using lit candles, never leave them unattended, especially in the presence of children or pets. When going to bed, make sure that you extinguish any candles you used.
Never use a barbeque grill or any similar open flame device indoors. Besides the risk of fire, without proper ventilation you run the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you need to use electric blankets, be aware they are a major fire hazard. Always follow the instructions, and regularly check that they are in good condition.
If you have a fireplace, keep your chimney clean and clear from debris.